Accessing a file on Android SD card

Discussions specifically related to the Android and iOS editions of BBCSDL
atom058

Re: Accessing a file on Android SD card

Post by atom058 »

Thanks, Richard. Glad I'm not the only one with this issue... The ultimate destination for this app is on a hand-held device that is used in a laboratory. The app that runs on that device, takes a reading and then stores the data on the SD card in the Export directory. This tells me that that app can create and write files on the SD card, so maybe (hopefully) my app will be able to as well (when it gets installed). Unfortunately, I don't have access to that instrument for developing my app, just a tablet... I'll figure out a work-around... Thanks!

RichardRussell
Site Admin

Re: Accessing a file on Android SD card

Post by RichardRussell »

atom058 wrote:
Mon 13 Apr 2020, 16:38
Glad I'm not the only one with this issue...
More Googling suggests that this may provide the explanation. It says that "More recent versions of Android rely more on a file's purpose than its location for determining an app's ability to access that file". It implies that you should be able to store files in app-specific or shared regions of external storage but not elsewhere. More details can be found at the article and pages linked from it.
so maybe (hopefully) my app will be able to as well (when it gets installed).
Hopefully, but the implication at the linked article is that it can depend on the targetted version of Android, and that may differ between that app and BBC BASIC.
I am suffering from 'cognitive decline' and depression. If you have a comment about the style or tone of this message please report it to the moderators by clicking the exclamation mark icon, rather than complaining on the public forum.