Leaving the forum (again)?

Here you can talk about anything related to BBC BASIC, not covered in another category

Re: Leaving the forum (again)?

Post by guest » Thu 29 Nov 2018, 17:50

Zaphod wrote:
Thu 29 Nov 2018, 17:04
I don't always like your style and don't always agree with you.
Perhaps a compromise would be - with the admin's permission - to extend my 'trial' membership, from the month that has just elapsed to, say, three months. If after that time you and the other members remain as unhappy with my contributions as you are now, I would then agree to leave permanently and without fuss.

DDRM - does that sound like a sensible way to proceed?

Zaphod

Post by Zaphod » Thu 29 Nov 2018, 20:44

I would then agree to leave permanently and without fuss.
Good grief, your permanent leaving would make me less happy but do what is right for you.
I wish you peace of mind in your troubled times.

Z

mavison

Post by mavison » Thu 29 Nov 2018, 20:57

Richard: Please continue as long as you feel able. Your experience and input is, I am sure, valued and appreciated. It is by discussion that ideas (and programs) evolve - even if they sometimes end in differences of opinion. Please stay ... but your health must be your priority.

p_m21987

Post by p_m21987 » Thu 29 Nov 2018, 21:07

guest wrote:but at the same time it means there is little of value that I can contribute to the forum anyway.
That's not true. I think your recent posts on the forum have been very informative, and I greatly appreciated your reply to my thread about data structures.
guest wrote:If after that time you and the other members remain as unhappy with my contributions as you are now,
I don't think anyone is unhappy with your contributions. I'm certainly not.

The way you quoted Zaphod's recent post suggests to me that you're focusing on that part and ignoring the rest of the comment. I would like to encourage you to focus on another part of his post:
Zaphod wrote:your input is valuable and has always been of interest to me
Anyway. I agree with mavison that your health must be your priority. I personally want you to remain on the forum, but if you're finding that the forum is causing you stress, in that case perhaps leaving the forum might be the best thing to do. But otherwise I see no reason for you to leave the forum.

Post by guest » Thu 29 Nov 2018, 22:55

Patrick M wrote:
Thu 29 Nov 2018, 21:07
if you're finding that the forum is causing you stress, in that case perhaps leaving the forum might be the best thing to do.
Everything causes me stress! I am hoping to release a new version of BBCSDL in a couple of days time - which is itself stressful - and I would quite like to have the opportunity of announcing it here. During my several months of absence from the forum the only thing I really regretted was not being able to make announcements of new versions, especially during the period when I also absented myself from the discussion group. I took to announcing them at the StarDot forum, as the only place left to which I could post, but as I think you know that was controversial because their forum is supposed to be for Acorn-related products and mine aren't. :(

p_m21987

Post by p_m21987 » Thu 29 Nov 2018, 23:20

guest wrote:
Thu 29 Nov 2018, 22:55
I am hoping to release a new version of BBCSDL in a couple of days time - which is itself stressful - and I would quite like to have the opportunity of announcing it here. During my several months of absence from the forum the only thing I really regretted was not being able to make announcements of new versions
I'm certain nobody has any problems with you appearing on the forum (which is entirely about your BASIC) to make announcements about your BASIC, which is the subject of the forum. If there were anyone here who had a problem with that, I really don't understand why they would be a member of this forum to begin with.
guest wrote:
Thu 29 Nov 2018, 22:55
I took to announcing them at the StarDot forum, as the only place left to which I could post, but as I think you know that was controversial because their forum is supposed to be for Acorn-related products and mine aren't. :(
It wasn't controversial. It seemed to me that everyone there was happy with BBCSDL being discussed there, and agreed that it was on topic for the specific subforum.

Post by guest » Thu 29 Nov 2018, 23:59

Patrick M wrote:
Thu 29 Nov 2018, 23:20
I'm certain nobody has any problems with you appearing on the forum (which is entirely about your BASIC) to make announcements about your BASIC, which is the subject of the forum.
If you had the time and patience to go through the archived messages from the old Yahoo group and the old BB4W forum, you would find several occasions when members have indeed complained about me and expressed a desire that I should not post. The term which has most commonly been used of my posts is "abrasive". When a poll was held at the BB4W forum asking whether I should be allowed to rejoin, although a majority of members voted yes there were a few - Zaphod was one - who said that it would be preferable if I did not.

p_m21987

Post by p_m21987 » Fri 30 Nov 2018, 00:15

I wasn't aware that there had been a yahoo group until I read this thread. I wouldn't know where to find it.
I have read some posts from the old conforum including the archived conforums thread that you linked earlier in this thread. I noticed that 14 out of 15 people who voted in the poll wanted you to return to the forum, and 100% of the people who actually posted in the thread were in favour of you returning or at least didn't have a problem with it.

Post by guest » Fri 30 Nov 2018, 03:41

Patrick M wrote:
Fri 30 Nov 2018, 00:15
100% of the people who actually posted in the thread were in favour of you returning or at least didn't have a problem with it.
That is not correct. You are accusing me of being a liar, and I am not. The reason you did not see the post from Zaphod to which I referred is no doubt that he deleted it before the forum was archived (another possibility is that the admin deleted it, but I think that is less likely). I cannot find his post to the Yahoo! group either, but that does not mean it was a figment of my imagination: most forums allow the author of a post to withdraw it.

mikeg

Post by mikeg » Fri 30 Nov 2018, 06:11

It's pretty clear to me what decision I must make, but I'll wait until I've seen the reaction (if any) here before making it final - I was criticised last time for leaving without any explanation.

Richard, there has been no conflict, at least none that can't be solved with a calming word or two. I am certain that things have improved greatly and the atmosphere is friendly. I would like you here to support your work. The group is laid back and goals are being created. I am sure that future issues can always have solutions created. I vote you should stay and be a part of the group. :D