Awesome idea (pull out note reference)

Here you can suggest additions and modifications to BB4W or BBCSDL
mikeg

Awesome idea (pull out note reference)

Post by mikeg » Mon 03 Dec 2018, 23:08

As I was working on my game I was keeping note of all my global variables and any new ones I needed to make. I then copied my variables into the LBB editor for quick reference.

I know the above note may be the solution to the task, I came up with the idea of a slide out text window that would allow you to copy and paste your variables for quick reference. This would be a cool thing for both BBCSDL and BBC4W. I know this is not really necessary, as there are many ways to take notes, but it would be cool to have that list of variables nearby the program screen for quick checks. OR... maybe a tool that updates the variable list which would show in the right slide out window, which could be updated by simply using the built in utility.

Even if it was just for BBCSDL, it would greatly enhance productivity for those who may need to check variables quickly.

Re: Awesome idea (pull out note reference)

Post by guest » Mon 03 Dec 2018, 23:45

mikeg wrote:
Mon 03 Dec 2018, 23:08
Even if it was just for BBCSDL, it would greatly enhance productivity for those who may need to check variables quickly.
Feel free to adapt SDLIDE.bbc (or BBCEdit.bbc) in any way you want, for your own use, and if you think the modification might be of more general interest I'm happy to consider it for the distributed version. One of the big advantages of the IDE(s) themselves being written in BASIC is that it enables such 'user customisation', which isn't possible when the IDE is an immutable part of the application as it is in BB4W.

mikeg

Post by mikeg » Mon 03 Dec 2018, 23:56

if you think the modification might be of more general interest I'm happy to consider it for the distributed version.

Ill attempt to make the side window beside the BBCSDL editor after I'm done my game. I really think this side reference note area would be very handy.

Post by guest » Tue 04 Dec 2018, 12:59

mikeg wrote:
Mon 03 Dec 2018, 23:56
Ill attempt to make the side window beside the BBCSDL editor after I'm done my game. I really think this side reference note area would be very handy.
As it will need an extra window, I expect the simplest and safest approach will be to implement it as a separate program that's run from the IDE when required. That's how the 'List Variables' window, which is displayed while debugging, and the 'Profiler results' window are displayed. It's also how the BB4W add-in utilities work (e.g. the Cross Reference utility and the Add Windows Constants utility); they are separate programs that are run from the IDE.