BBC BASIC for SDL 2.0 version 1.09a released

New releases of BB4W and BBCSDL, and other updates, will be announced here
KenDown

BBC BASIC for SDL 2.0 version 1.09a released

Post by KenDown » Sun 12 Jan 2020, 19:25

Just to note that Richard has released version 1.09a of BBC BASIC for SDL 2.0. It is available from the usual sources. Announcements - possibly with further details - have been posted to:
https://stardot.org.uk/forums/viewtopic ... 99#p257299
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... 0#p1594040

RNBW

Re: BBC BASIC for SDL 2.0 version 1.09a released

Post by RNBW » Mon 13 Jan 2020, 10:25

Just installed 1.09a and done a quick check with SDLIDE and this update seems to have got over the problems I had with clicking on files to load. I've not checked any code, but by design or coincidence it works, so I'm happy.

KenDown

Re: BBC BASIC for SDL 2.0 version 1.09a released

Post by KenDown » Thu 16 Jan 2020, 05:05

Richard has sent the following post:

=========
Now that BBCSDL includes the Memory Monitor utility (it has been a long time coming!) there are few remaining areas where it can be claimed that 'BBC BASIC for Windows' has superior functionality to 'BBC BASIC for SDL 2.0'. As far as Add-In Utilities are concerned only the Module Viewer and Windows Constants utilities are 'missing' (note that the BB4W Differences and Profiler utilities have equivalents built into BBCSDL rather than being provided by add-ins).

There are of course areas where BBCSDL already has significantly better functionality than BB4W. The list of FNs and PROCs can (optionally) be sorted alphabetically, which it can't be in BB4W. SDLIDE has a 'Dark Mode' which some people like, especially when working at night. And the IDEs are 'crash proof' in the sense that, unlike BB4W, when you test your BASIC program it is 'sandboxed' by running in a separate process.

Then there are the advantages that SDL itself gives you, such as 'free' scaling of BASIC's output to fit the window size (making 'full screen' operation much more straightforward) and GPU-accelerated 2D graphics which, when coding in 'pure BASIC', can offer a performance that in BB4W can only be achieved using assembler code.

So I'd be interested to know what, if any, features are still missing from BBCSDL which cause you to be reluctant to try it, or any other reasons why you are sticking with BB4W rather than branching out into cross-platform BBC BASIC programming.
==========