Problem with SORTLIB

Discussions about the BBC BASIC language, with particular reference to BB4W and BBCSDL
zeynel1

Problem with SORTLIB

Post by zeynel1 »

The following code gives "number too big" error.
What am I doing wrong?
I'm trying to sort the array Dem with 29 items in it. Why would that be a big number?

Code: Select all

REM compute uncertainty in Cavendish density values
      REM cavendish-error.bbc
      INSTALL @lib$+"fnusing"
      INSTALL @lib$+"SORTLIB"

*SPOOLON output.txt
      DIM Den(28)
      Den()=5.50,\
      \5.61,\
      \4.88,\
      \5.07,\
      \5.26,\
      \5.55,\
      \5.36,\
      \5.29,\
      \5.58,\
      \5.65,\
      \5.57,\
      \5.53,\
      \5.62,\
      \5.29,\
      \5.44,\
      \5.34,\
      \5.79,\
      \5.10,\
      \5.27,\
      \5.39,\
      \5.42,\
      \5.47,\
      \5.63,\
      \5.34,\
      \5.46,\
      \5.30,\
      \5.75,\
      \5.68,\
      \5.85

sort%=FN_sortinit(0,0)

C%=DIM(Den(),DIM(Den()))+1
      CALL sort%, Den(0)

PRINT "Den(28)=";Den(28)

Mean=SUM(Den())/29
      PRINT "Dim()/29=";FNusing("##.##", Mean)

zeynel1

Re: Problem with SORTLIB

Post by zeynel1 »

I just noticed that this is supposed to be integers, I'm trying to sort floating point numbers. Is that the reason? How do I sort floating point numbers?

Hated Moron

Post by Hated Moron »

zeynel1 wrote:
Wed 08 Jun 2022, 14:15
The following code gives "number too big" error.
What am I doing wrong?
Most likely it's because you have used sort% rather than sort%% (there should be two percent signs).

This is what it says in the Help manual here:

"Before any sorting operations can be carried out the library must be initialised as follows:"

sort%% = FN_sortinit(dir%,smode%)
I'm wondering if perhaps you were looking at the Help manual for BBC BASIC for Windows (in which case sort% will work) rather than the Help manual for BBC BASIC for SDL 2.0 which needs sort%%.
If you are unhappy with any aspect of this post, please report it to the forum administrator (click on the exclamation mark icon in the top-right corner) rather than complaining on the open forum or by private email.

zeynel1

Post by zeynel1 »

Great thanks! Now it works.

Yes I was looking at the Windows manual.

So this was not an integer issue then. When I saw "%" in sort%, I thought that meant integer.

Hated Moron

Post by Hated Moron »

zeynel1 wrote:
Wed 08 Jun 2022, 15:40
When I saw "%" in sort%, I thought that meant integer.
That's right, sort% is a 32-bit integer, sort%% is a 64-bit integer. BBC BASIC for Windows is a 32-bit program, BBC BASIC for SDL 2.0 is (or can be - for example on a Mac) a 64-bit program.

The sortlib library can sort any of the BBC BASIC data types (8-bit, 32-bit & 64-bit integers, 64-bit & 80-bit floats, and strings). Indeed you can mix them and have (for example) an integer array as the primary sort key, a float array as a secondary sort key and a string array as a tertiary sort key. It's very flexible.
If you are unhappy with any aspect of this post, please report it to the forum administrator (click on the exclamation mark icon in the top-right corner) rather than complaining on the open forum or by private email.

zeynel1

Post by zeynel1 »

Thanks. One more question: I noticed it sorts the original array. Is there a way to keep the original array and create a new sorted array?

Hated Moron

Post by Hated Moron »

zeynel1 wrote:
Wed 08 Jun 2022, 16:46
I noticed it sorts the original array. Is there a way to keep the original array and create a new sorted array?
Copy the array and sort the copy: :D

DIM sorted(DIM(Den(),1))
      sorted() = Den()
      CALL sort%%, sorted(0)