SDLIDE Help

Here you can suggest additions and modifications to BB4W or BBCSDL
KenDown

SDLIDE Help

Post by KenDown »

Poking around in SDLIDE (v.1.17)I clicked on the tutorial. I haven't read every word, but I did discover that the Appendices all return a "Page not found" error, even though, if you work your way through the help from page to page, topic to topic, the Appendices are all there. It would seem that the links are broken.

WIDTH(a$) conveniently returns the width in pixels of a string, even if a font has been defined (such as Arial, Times New Roman, etc). Is there any way of finding the height of that font, please? I know how to do it in BB4W, but that uses a Windows call (I think).

Thanks.

RichardRussell

Re: SDLIDE Help

Post by RichardRussell »

KenDown wrote:
Fri 30 Oct 2020, 13:53
I did discover that the Appendices all return a "Page not found" error
The BBCSDL documentation is a 'work in progress' but there's not actually anybody working on it! I explained when it was released (some years ago) that I wanted the user community to take responsibility for the documentation; that was part of the 'deal' whereby I would make the program itself available totally free.

Unfortunately (but not surprisingly) nobody has come forward to help so it's currently in limbo, with links that do work often pointing to irrelevant information about BB4W rather than BBCSDL, and other links that are broken. I don't see that changing in the near future. :(

I can probably fix the broken links in the tutorial by pointing them to the BB4W version; the information there will not be entirely relevant to BBCSDL but you may (or may not) consider that better than an error message. But there are still large gaps in the BBCSDL documentation (for example the IDEs and libraries are entirely undocumented).
Is there any way of finding the height of that font, please? I know how to do it in BB4W, but that uses a Windows call (I think).
No, it doesn't. The character height is in @char.y% in both BB4W and BBCSDL; it's documented here. Remember that (as with all the system variables) you must do a 'thread sync' to avoid reading a stale value in BBCSDL.
I am suffering from 'cognitive decline' and depression. If you have a comment about the style or tone of this message please report it to the moderators by clicking the exclamation mark icon, rather than complaining on the public forum.

KenDown

Post by KenDown »

Thanks for the information about @char.y% Very useful. The mere act of defining a font sets the @char.y% variable.

I would gladly tweak things on the SDL help but how would I go about it? Nothing easier than to extract the HTML and change it but then what? How would I upload it to your website?

RichardRussell

Post by RichardRussell »

KenDown wrote:
Sat 31 Oct 2020, 20:32
I would gladly tweak things on the SDL help but how would I go about it? Nothing easier than to extract the HTML and change it but then what? How would I upload it to your website?
Nobody except me can change the contents of my website!! For anybody who seriously wants to contribute to the BBCSDL documentation I would suggest that they work on it locally on their own machine, checking it on their browser and at the W3C validator, and when they think they have something worthy of being merged with the 'master' version send it to me.

It's generally not "tweaking" that is required but new material that needs to be written from scratch. The main omissions at present are the IDE(s) - it's debateable whether both Andy's BBCEdit and my SDLIDE need to be documented - the equivalent to the 'Accessing the Windows API' section of the BB4W manual, and the libraries (most importantly dlglib).
I am suffering from 'cognitive decline' and depression. If you have a comment about the style or tone of this message please report it to the moderators by clicking the exclamation mark icon, rather than complaining on the public forum.

KenDown

Post by KenDown »

I expected as much - and do not in the least blame you for being wary of anyone else messing with your website! I certainly wouldn't allow it with either of my websites! However that, rather than lack of interest or willingness, is probably the reason why no one else has offered to help update it.

Perhaps you could include a note somewhere in the Help file that if anyone finds a mistake or would like to contribute an article, this is how to go about it and this is the address to which to send it. I would have been delighted, in such a case, to update the links to the Appendices and send the file to you. (I think you have taken a somewhat draconian approach and just deleted all reference to the appendices, which is a shame because they were there, it was just the links that were wrong.)

RichardRussell

Post by RichardRussell »

KenDown wrote:
Sun 01 Nov 2020, 00:51
However that, rather than lack of interest or willingness, is probably the reason why no one else has offered to help update it.
Nobody ought to have expected to be able to edit the contents of my website 'in situ', it should have been obvious that any additions or corrections would have to be sent to me. As for where to send them, my email address is prominent at the contact us section of the site.
(I think you have taken a somewhat draconian approach and just deleted all reference to the appendices, which is a shame because they were there, it was just the links that were wrong.)
Of course I haven't deleted references to the appendices, I've corrected the links (in the sense of pointing them to the BB4W version) as you asked.

I always try to do the right thing; within minutes of you pointing out the broken links to the appendices I had corrected them, uploaded the new version, and checked that it worked. But once again I don't receive any thanks or appreciation, but rather am told that I have behaved in a "draconian" fashion.

You are not alone in this, but you are allowing your personal dislike of me to colour your judgement of everything I do. You assume that it will be stupid, or deliberately damaging. I don't expect your opinion of me to change, but you could make more of an effort to be fair.

KenDown

Post by KenDown »

Richard, I assure you that I do NOT dislike you. It might be too much to say that I like you - we have never met, we have no interaction outside this forum, etc - but I certainly admire you, respect you, indeed, have nothing but positive feelings towards you.

I merely noticed that when I looked at the Help file to see whether I could fix the links, I couldn't find any reference to "Appendix" or "Appendices", nor any reference to the topic I particularly remembered (something along the lines of "code we don't use"), which is why I assumed that you had removed them.

I agree that it would be highly undesirable to have just anyone editing your personal website, but you did say that you had appealed for help and received none. I simply pointed out one reason why that may have been so - that no way of offering help had been specified. As no method had been specified, when I found an error I pointed it out here; if you would like people to take some other action when/if they find a mistake, please specify it and I, for one, will be delighted to comply.

RichardRussell

Post by RichardRussell »

KenDown wrote:
Mon 02 Nov 2020, 06:57
I merely noticed that when I looked at the Help file to see whether I could fix the links, I couldn't find any reference to "Appendix" or "Appendices", nor any reference to the topic I particularly remembered (something along the lines of "code we don't use"), which is why I assumed that you had removed them.
That's precisely my point: you assumed I had removed them. You didn't 'assume' you were looking in the wrong place, you didn't 'assume' there might be an innocuous explanation, you assumed that it was me doing something stupid or unhelpful. That says everything.

The links I fixed were at https://www.bbcbasic.co.uk/bbcsdl/tutorial/index.html and I can see the Appendices referenced there quite clearly.